Monday, June 18, 2012

4th of July Ruffle Shirt Tutorial

I had fun making these patriotiec ruffle t-shirts.  They sew up really quick & don't they look festive!

First you need to rummage through everyone's closet or a garage sale and find red, white, and blue old t-shirts.  

 Next, using your rotary cutter, cut the shirts into 1 1/4" strips. 
  

I used my Bernina foot #16 - the "Ruffle" foot.  I LOVE this foot!  It is so much fun to use.  Set the tension on 10 and bump the stitch length all the way up.  Then hit the gas & it ruffles for you!  If you don't have a ruffle foot, just ruffle the strips by sewing gathering stitches.
Once you have all your ruffles made, lay them on your shirt and pin in place.  WARNING: You might want to try the shirt on at this point.  I did not try the shirt on and just sewed the ruffles.  I found they hit my chest in a weird place - so I UN-STITCHED them & made them shorter.  Uggggh

Sew the ruffles on following the stitching on the ruffle.  I used matching thread so the stitches wouldn't stand out so much.
And now you are ready for a picnic, a parade, or a party!!



No comments:

Post a Comment