Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pantry Cupboard Re-Do

I am in the process of repainting my kitchen. Today's project is the pantry cupboard. I saw this cool paintable-textured wallpaper at Lowe's. So I thought I would give it a try. The photos are a little dark as I do my best work in the wee hours of the night!!

First you measure the space you want to cover and cut the wallpaper those dimensions. I used my quilting rotary cutter and mat and it worked like a dream. Then I followed the wallpaper instructions. Soak the paper for 30 seconds, let it sit for 5 minutes, then apply, smoothing out the air bubbles and wiping off the excess glue.

I applied a piece to each of the panels on the cupboards and let it dry over night.

Now the fun part begins. I wanted the wallpaper to match the rest of the cabinets so I first needed it to be red like the rest of the kitchen. It was hard to get out the Tomato Red paint when I am wanting to cover it up!

I let the red dry then it was time to paint the aqua color over the doors. I left bits of the red showing through on the texture part to give it the rustic feel I am going for.

When that step was done and dry, I sanded the edges of the doors so the red would show through here and there.


I then applied a coat of Polycrylic. This is a non-coloring protective coat that will keep the paint from chipping and give some durability to the wallpaper.

I love the finished look. The wallpaper looks like it was always part of the doors!

1 comment:

  1. Jedi Girl, We love your website. You are cute, creative, fun and very talented. Great job today in class. Kent and Deborah

    ReplyDelete